Which of these do you prefer reading/writing?

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Short Sundays First Edition

I mentioned in my first post that I would likely be sharing some of my own writing with you guys, well today is the day. I have titled this post the way I did because Sundays are now for short stories. Sometimes there will be a series and other times there will be stand alone stories. The work I will be sharing today is currently untitled and I look forward to any critiques you may have. I hope you enjoy. Disclaimer: Story is told from first person perspectives.


  I, Belladonna Thorn have been under the employ of Oleander Springfield, Grand Duke of Abington since his late wife Duchess Wysteria was expectant of their first child. As Governess it is my duty to see to the well being of the children; a job that while I do it well and with pride has become difficult as of late. In the past two years since the Duchess passed things have been tense between the Duke and his beautiful daughters. That is why I hope that today when he visits her final resting place he may finally find some sort of inner peace. 
 As I sit in my favorite reading chair located in the grand library I come across a passage in a book referring to my title as "Babysitter". Babysitting! What a laughable name for that with which I am tasked with. As if one would dare to sit on a baby! Fortunately this is a task I find pleasure in on most occasions although it is indeed quite tiresome. I am after all caring for three young girls. Each named for the jewel toned flecks in their respective hazel eyes. 
 Amethyst, the eldest at the ripe old age of six is so full of curiosity about the world around her that I often have to investigate things just to answer her abundance of questions. The middle child is named Amber, and at the age of three is much too serious most often. For a child whom finds little amusing and only smiles for certain people; it brings great joy that she deems me worthy. Lastly, there is Aquamarine. Oh how her toddler ways bring such exhaustion and delight. 
 I am roused from my ponderings by the sound of tiny feet against the gleaming cherry wood floors. "Bell Bell!" Amber calls excitedly as she makes a run for my lap. " Yes, little one. I am happy to see you too." At this she smiles brightly her eyes alerting me to an upcoming question. However, before she has a chance to ask Amethyst comes wobbling into the room to tell me that Aqua is awake. I quickly make my way down the stained glass corridor that looks out over the marvelous orchards and connects the girls' bedchamber to the library from which I have come.


Well, what did you think as you read through what I have so far? Any suggestions on how I could improve the flow, etc? Do not be hesitant, instead be honest with your thoughts and opinions.  I greatly appreciate your feedback and am humbled by the amount of readers I have so far. I thank you for your support. 

Be Blessed. Stay Inspired, and Write Well
  

No comments:

Post a Comment